The musings of a (not-so) single chick in the city. (Don't think that the term chick is derogoratory. We refer to boys by a number of terms). The travails in the life of an ex-miss-goody-two-shoes, ex-journalist, ex-small time model, ex-television actress, of being female in Chennai/ Pune/Bangalore, of ideas old and ideas new....

Friday, January 25, 2008

Why oh why GOD!

My father told me this morning, the following dialogue.

"Rani Meyyammai hall cost 4 lakhs for two days rental, exclusive of water and electricity charges. And catering arrangements cost about a lakh if you want to give your guests good food for the two days."

After my non committal, "hmmm" he goes on, "And Hindhi Prachar Shaba hall costs only a lakh for two days...but its not in the same range as Rani M. hall."

Two of his close friends' daughters are getting married shortly. Both of them are exactly my age, one even with a degree more than me.

After being bugged about the marriage issue by my mother for almost a year now ( am only twenty frigging three now) , my dad too has taken up the mantle to fight for the cause of the establishment - namely - get a reasonably nice boy, preferably from the same community and get hitched.

Oohhh, the fact that I don't want to get married is something they think if they ignore, somehow slowly my though process will become like their's. It is like - their ignoring the elephant in the room will promptly make the elephant go "poof" and vanish.....and the fact that a ceremony to unite two beings in matrimony should cost atrocious sums that some people struggle to save in a decade is abhorable.

Ok, its not like I'm going to marry some inappropriate guy or elope with a hooligan or something.....I don't have a boyfriend..... only younger men seem to be attracted to me for now...don't know if that is good or bad in some ways....but I definitely cannot bring home a boy, who still has years of independence left to enjoy and make him marry me to satisfy my parents...

So, now that I have vented enough, I will go away.....

No comments: